Clinical Instructor Certification Course Part I (Online/Web-based)
Part I Module Titles and Learning Objectives:
- ● Vision and Professionalism
○ Understand the benefits of being a clinical instructor and how it impacts your practice ○ Interpret the APTA Guidelines for Clinical Instructors ○ Relate how the APTA’s new vision and Vision 2020 apply to clinical education ○ Relate the APTA’s Professionalism core values and how it relates to clinical instruction
- ● Communication
○ Describe the various factors affecting communication as it relates to clinical education.
- ● Benefits of a Clinical Education Program
○ Describe the benefits of clinical education to the following stakeholders: ■ The student ■ The clinical instructor ■ The clinical site ■ The academic program ■ The patient ○ Analyze how a clinical education program can benefit your staff and site
- ● Key Stakeholder Roles and Relationships
○ Identify the stakeholders in clinical education ○ Describe the roles, relationships, and responsibilities of each stakeholder in clinical education
- ● Developing a Clinical Education Program
○ Describe best practices and guidelines for clinical education sites ○ Outline the legal document requirements to become a clinical site ○ Plan the steps necessary to prepare for a student’s arrival at your facility ○ Develop a clinical curriculum to guide your students’ experiences at your facility
- ● Teaching and Learning Principles
○ Understand current teaching and learning theories as they apply to best practice in the clinical setting. ○ Describe characteristics of the adult learner. ○ Differentiate between domains of learning.
- ● Behavior Objectives and Time Saving Ideas
○ Apply the understanding of behavioral objectives to their clinical setting ○ Implement active learning strategies
- ● Assessing Clinical Readiness and Enhancing Clinical Learning
○ Determine the most appropriate way to assess clinical readiness and enhance clinical learning.
- ● Clinical Reasoning
○ Apply concepts of teaching clinical reasoning to the novice to expert learner.
- ● Feedback
○ Understand delivery methods of formative and summative feedback. ○ Demonstrate reflective practice strategies.
- ● Reflection
○ Understand the why reflection is important and how it is used in the clinical environment. ○ Demonstrate reflective practice strategies and guide students in the process.
Part I Questions:
You may direct Part I course questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.